One of the most common issues that people face with their printers is getting an error message of “Printer Driver is Unavailable”. This error message generally appears when the driver file of your printer gets corrupted. In some cases, the driver can be outdated and may need to be updated.
There are several steps that you can take to resolve this issue. These issues do not have anything to do with the hardware of the device. Rather, they are issues related to settings as well as software updates.
Although there can be a slight variation in the settings as well as troubleshooting based on different brands of printers, in this post, we will write steps for an HP printer.
Reasons for an HP Printer to Show Printer Driver Unavailable Message
- Compatibility Issues
This means that the printer’s driver that you have installed on your PC is out of date. If you have not updated your device drivers in a long time, then this error can occur.
- Drivers are Corrupt
Sometimes there are viruses or malware that infect our computers and corrupt various files. If any such malware can cause the printer’s driver file to become corrupt, then you get the message “Printer Driver Unavailable”.
- When Print Spooler’s Contents are Corrupt
A print spooler can be best explained as software that can be best explained as the communication link between the system and the HP printer. It prioritizes the order in which the HP printer prints various documents that are aligned for printing. If this software gets corrupted, then you can get the message “driver is unavailable printer hp”.
How to Fix the Driver Issue
Below is a step-by-step guide that you can follow to resolve your printer driver unavailable issue for HP.
- Press the Window + R key to open the Run command dialogue box
- Type devmgmt.msc and hit the Enter Key
- This will open the Device Manager. Once the Device Manager is open, look for an option that says Print Queue, that mentions the HP printer model
- Now find your printer’s model number and right-click on it & uninstall.
- Now, using your web browser, go to HP’s support website to install the latest version of your printer’s driver
- In case you have an issue with this, you can click on the start button and type “Update” in the search box
- It will give you options of all available update options.Click on “Check for Updates”
- Your computer will show you that your HP printer’s driver needs an update
- Click on update drivers and Windows will start the update process automatically
- Next, you have to follow the instructions shown on your screen to complete the update
- Restart your device and then the updates would be properly applied.
Fixing Driver Unavailable Issue for Windows 10 in Particular
As convenient as Windows 10 is to use, it asks you to update your system several times. Some would even say too many times. More often than not, we tend to skip these updates. While we may think that it is harmless, it can create some issues.
One such issue is causing the printer driver to be unavailable. It causes a lack of compatibility between the printer and the Windows 10 system. Below are the steps to solve this issue on your Windows 10 PC.
- Press the Window button to make the Start Menu appear on the screen
- In the search box, type “Update” and hit enter
- The new window that comes up will show you all the pending updates for your system,
- Click on Check for Updates and proceed to install the update as mentioned in the section above
- Always remember to restart your Windows 10 PC after installing the update.
Using the above-mentioned steps for both Windows 10 and older versions, you can easily resolve the driver is unavailable printer issue on your own. However, if you still face issues, it is recommended that you contact printer support professionals that can assist you better.
Also checkout – HP Printer Won’t Scan