Adding a printer in Windows 10
A printer is a very useful tool; it allows the users to print documents from their computer. But to print the documents, firstly you need to add a printer to the computer. The most common way to connect your printer is by using the USB cable and that turns your printer to a local printer. You can also install the wireless printer or you can add a printer to a computer on the network.
How to add a printer to a computer?
Below all the scenarios to add a printer to the computer are covered:
- Add a Local Printer
- Connect the printer to the computer via USB cable and turn it on.
- From the start menu, open ‘Settings App’.
- Click ‘Devices’.
- Click ‘Add Printer or Scanner’ to add a printer to the computer.
- If windows detect the printer, click the printer name and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
If Windows is unable to find the connected printer, choose ‘The printer I want is not listed’ and allow the windows troubleshooting guide to find the printer. Visit the manufacturer’s website and download printer drivers, if it does not work.
Add Wireless Printer
- Open the wireless setup page by using the LCD panel of the printer.
- Choose your wireless network.
- Enter the network password to add a printer to the computer.
Add shared printer
Home networking feature of windows called HomeGroup shares the printer and some other files automatically with a computer present on the Home Network.
Set Home Group
- Right-click the ‘Wireless Icon’ present in the taskbar and choose ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click the ‘Read to create’ option present next to the HomeGroup.
- Click on create homegroup button.
- Tap to Next.
- Choose what you want to share. By default ‘Printer and Device’ are shared.
- Note down the Homegroup password.
- Tap to finish.
Connect to a shared printer on HomeGroup
- Click HomeGroup and after that Join Now button in your windows explorer.
- Tap to next.
- Verify what you want to share and tap to next.
- Enter the password and click Next.
- Tap to finish and process to add a printer to the computer is complete. You can see the printer status on your windows explorer.
By following these simple steps you can add a printer to the computer. If you are unable to install the printer on your own, contact a printer expert for help.